Winter meals and desserts are meant to make you feel warm and cozy inside and out. These snickerdoodle cookies do just that—a soft, chewy texture with warm notes of cinnamon and nuttiness from the flax seed and almond flour. These comforting cookies are gluten free, paleo, clean, oil free, low carb, and have a healthy dosage of essential omega nutrients.
One of my favorite flavors are cinnamon. Its a universal flavor that can be used in all types of dishes; breakfast, desserts, coffees, pickling, and many spice rubs in middle eastern cuisine. I love the taste of snickerdoodles—I even make it in a protein shake form!—so, I just had to create a healthy version of the traditional, cinnamon-sugar flavored treats.
These cookies have a similar base to my sugar cookie recipe. The almond flour, coconut flour, and flax all mingle together to create a nutty, butter-like flavor that is found in most fall/winter desserts. All of the ingredients in this recipe can be conveniently found in your supermarket. Feed back on your results of the recipe is always appreciated:)
Gluten Free, Paleo, Clean, Oil Free, Low carb
Makes about 20 small cookies
-1 cup almond flour
-¾ cup flax meal
-⅓ cup coconut flour
-¼ cup organic brown sugar
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-1tsp + 2tsp cinnamon
-pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and lie parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl, first combine the flax meal and water. Once a thick paste, mix the eggs, vanilla extract, and honey in completely.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, 1 tsp of cinnamon and the salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold until fully incorporated.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the organic brown sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon. Roll the dough into quarter sized balls, roll in the cinnamon sugar, and then press it on the pan, so it becomes a circle一about a ¼ inch thick.
- Bake for 8 minutes, and let cool completely before serving and/or storing.
The cookies burn very quickly because of the coconut flour, they CANNOT bake over 8 minutes. These cookies are best when consumed within 3-5 days.