Christmas is right a round the corner, and what’s Christmas without sugar cookies? These sugar cookies are gluten free, paleo, clean, and low carb! These delectable and healthy treats are also topped with a perfectly sweetened icing. Who knew healthy could taste so good!
The biggest thing I miss about clean eating is making and eating beautiful, homemade cookies and treats around the holidays. So, I created this recipe to fill my desire for holiday cookies—and these cookies are the perfect alternative! The combination of the almond flour, coconut flour, and coconut oil some how creates a buttery taste that is usually found in your traditional sugar cookies—that’s what makes them so addicting! And a sugar cookie is never complete without an icing or frosting on top. To create the ideal icing, I simply mixed together arrowroot starch(similar to corn starch, except its non-gmo), honey, some vanilla, and a packet of beet juice powder to make a bright, and festive icing for the cookies; the beet juice powder adds no flavor what so ever!
Trust me, EVERYONE in the family will like them, even people who despise coconut—for example, younger brother. These sugar cookies are perfect for people who are gluten free, paleo, clean eaters, or for someone that is trying to lose weight—these are absolutely guilt free! So, gather your family and whip up a batch of these simple, wonderful sugar cookies.
Gluten Free, Paleo, Clean, low carb
Makes about 20 small cookies
-1 cup almond flour
-⅓ cup coconut flour
-⅓ cup honey
-¼ cup coconut oil
-1 ½ tsp baking powder
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-pinch of salt
for the frosting
-½ cup arrowroot starch
-¼ cup honey
-1 tsp vanilla
-1 packet of beet color
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and lie parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl, first combine the coconut oil, vanilla extract, and honey. Once combined, mix the eggs in completely.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and the salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold until fully incorporated.
- Roll into quarter sized balls and press it, so it becomes a circle一about a ¼ inch thick.
- Set the timer for 8 minutes. While the cookies bake, mix the arrowroot starch, vanilla extract, honey, and food coloring(optional) until it is thick, but still liquidy.
- Once the cookies cool, apply a thin layer of icing and allow to harden before storage and serving.
The cookies burn very quickly because of the coconut flour, they CANNOT bake over 8 minutes.
3 thoughts on “Sugar Cookies”
Great recipe!!, I’m trying to eat healthier so this helps a lot
I’m glad this helped!